Monday, September 16, 2013

9th Letter from England (Eastwood)

Hey!
 
I'm glad to  hear that everything is going well!  I find out tonight about transfers... really hoping we both stay together here in Eastwood!
 
Okay this week has been really so awesome. Last P-Day we went to Derby and shopped around.  I fell in love with this place called Primark.  Everything there is insanely cheap.  I bought 3 ties for £2 each.  Then I bought a £4 belt.  I'm going to buy a suit there eventually.  We had fun there.  We were supposed to take Claire and Sean to eat Chinese but we had a little miscommunication and that didn't work out but we're doing that today after I email.  That's because they did stop smoking. 
 
So I don't know if I told you this but every morning we have been going to the church building to practice because Elder Harris and I committed on a musical number at Sean's baptism!  Me playing the piano and him singing When I Am Baptized from the Children's Songbook. I'll talk more about that later. (:
 
On Tuesday we went to a place called Hole in the Wall with an amazing guy named Peter Morrison.  He's always willing to help us and do things for us!  Every time he's around us he wears a suit out of respect because we give up two years to serve the Lord.  He's an awesome guy and he has a crazy testimony.  The Hole-in-the-wall place was like a huge 'Sunday Dinner' which is all of the stuff we generally eat at Thanksgiving just without the pies and stuff.  We followed that by going to see Sean and Claire again. 
 
On Wednesday we had a zone meeting in Nottingham.  It was really awesome.  I feel like it was the most informative meeting we've had.  But that takes a lot of the day.  We didn't get back till about half three.  We then had a Dinner appointment at Betty's.  She's the seminary teacher here and she has an amazing voice.  She sounds like Doris Day singing Que Sera.  Ahahh I love to hear her sing at church.
 
On Thursday we saw an awesome miracle.  At Zone meeting we were promised that if we did a role-play in the morning about how to teach the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ then we would find more people to teach.  So we did it.  That day in Ilkeston we had a meeting set up but the lady wasn't home but as we were walking away we saw an old potential investigator that was dropped but we said hey to him and just talked as friends for a couple of minutes and these two guys walked up and said 'Hey!  Don't talk to the Jehovah's Witnesses!' We told them that we weren't JW's and explained that we were just around looking for ways to help people and asked if they needed any help.  One of them said that his mate had died a few days ago and he really needed someone to talk to.  An hour later we were teaching him the Plan of Salvation in a Church of England Cemetery and he was in tears.  We gave him a book of Mormon and he held it and said 'whoa, I feel a sort of power coming from this book' Elder Harris and I were both just thinking yeah that's right!  Hopefully he progresses more and we can help answer all of his questions.  That's just another testimony of the Book of Mormon and how it's the proof that this is the true church.  If everyone would just give it a chance than they would just know!
 
We were really busy the next day trying to get ready for the baptism!  We tried so hard to get the boiler to work for the church.  But we couldn't!  This meant the baptism would be really cold!  We tried but to no avail.
 
Saturday was an awesome day!  We went straight to the church and helped decorate the cultural hall for the Spanish Night that night, and tried to work on the boiler again, and I practiced the piano... eeeh.  I was extremely nervous.  The boiler never worked but I even tried boiling water myself and pouring it in which neutralized the temperature a little.  We went to KFC with Ruby which was awesome of course.  She is awesome.  Then come 3:30 Sean, Claire, and Louise get to the chapel!  The baptismal service started at 4:30 and we were all prepared.  Sister Carol Rigby spoke then Elder Harris, then we had our musical number which seemed to go really, really well!  People acted like they enjoyed it at least and I don't think I messed up really too much at all.  Then I baptized Sean and I'm not going to lie, the water was FREEZING, but the spirit was insanely strong.  He knows he made the right decision.  After the baptism we had a ward activity, Spanish Night, which was filled with music and dancing, Paella and just tons of fun.  It was an awesome day.  We were literally at the church from 9 AM to 9 PM but had tons of fun and it was really one of the best days of my mission 'so far'. (: 
 
Yesterday was church and Elder Harris confirmed Sean a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  The spirit was so strong during that as well.  Elder Pauly was told just before church that he had 10 minutes to speak.  It's his last Sunday on the mission and he did really well.  We are all going to miss Elder Pauly a lot.  We went to the Stinson's for lunch and had the best lasagna I've ever had.  You should ask Jackie how she made it (: 
 
So overall this week has been awesome and I'm still loving my mission.  My testimony of this Gospel grows daily.  The miracles we experience and the spirit we feel every day is undeniable.  Especially when pertaining to the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.  That really is what missionary work is focused around, getting people to read that book because that is the keystone of everything we teach.  If its true, everything else is true.  And if they just read it, nobody will be able to deny that its true. 
 
I love you all and miss you every day. 
-Elder Evan Pogue
 
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment