Monday, November 4, 2013

16th Letter from Eastwood

Hey!
 
This week has really been quite eventful so I can't wait to tell you guys all about it!  To answer your questions first: I have not gotten my triple combination yet because I actually didn't go to the mission home this week ):  But I was blessed for it!  Ruby loves her quilt.  She even spoke about it in our gospel principles class and spoke about how happy it made her and how great of a missionary opportunity it opened up for her with the facebook comments.  You're the best, Mom. That's sick that Ivy's next door neighbor's brother is the lead singer of Panic! at the Disco.  They're alright, but Imagine Dragons is way good.  I think Ivy knows of two members of that band, or maybe it's the same guy?  This week has been pretty fun and I emailed dad about my bike, or current lack of one...  (Hey Dad,   My new companion had a pretty good idea.  He got his parents to order his bike off of amazon and get it shipped to the mission home.  Along with it he got a huge lock that has like a £2500 warranty.  Maybe I'll do some shopping for a bike and send you guys a link of it?) 
 
Okay, so this week.  On Monday Elder Harris and I went to Derby and ate kebabs, and hung out in Derby.  We went and bought Sister Wenghert and Perronet some groceries because Sister Wengert was in quite a bit of pain from being hit by the car.  It's really a miracle that she didn't break any bones.  To answer mom, I got my jumper (sweater??) at Primark in Derby for £12, Primark is pretty much the best store in the world.  Everything there is dead cheap.  We got back to Eastwood and Elder Harris was feeling really sick so we went in early and waited for 'dodge night' which is the night we get the call telling us what is happening at transfers.  We found out that Elder Harris was going to Coventry.  He's doing great there and loves it so far.  It's a way different environment than here.  We also found out that Elder Steel is my new comp.  He came from Loughborough and he is the man!  We're having a lot of fun together and of course I miss Elder Harris but it's all good.  I've been very fortunate with new companions lately.
 
On Tuesday we woke up, went down to Eats and Treats to let them know the news, then we went to Hole in the Wall (the carvery with all you can eat) with Peter Morrison.  That was really good because a non-member and a less active where with us.  We had a good time.  We spent most of the time packing that day and cleaning up.  We also got to teach Amy and Rachael again.  We had a really good lesson then a Dinner Appointment at the Birch's.  After the Birchs we had ward coordination meeting then we went to visit Susan Matthews.  She is the lady that Elder Harris baptized before I came on my mission.  All in all it was a great day.  It was weird having that last night with Elder Harris.
 
Wednesday was nothing short of a crazy day.  We got up early to travel to Nottingham and Elder Harris got on a coach and headed off to Coventry.  I was with the Zone Leaders all day, Elder Akebran and Elder Taylor.  We had a crazy hour of GQing, which is just talking to people on the street.  So Elder Akebrand and I just start talking to this one lady name Shannon and she starts crying!  We were both like did we say something wrong???  But she said 'I'm sorry!  I just had a premonition earlier today that two guys were going to talk to me about God and that I should listen to them!'  We both felt like freaking out because that NEVER happens!  We set up a return appointment and she gave us both hugs.  Then not 5 minutes later we talked to another lady on the street and we ended up teaching her the full restoration lesson right there on the street and committed her to be baptized!  Then a little later we talked to a kid named Drew that was pretty solid.  Since then both Shannon and Drew have been committed to baptism and put on a date!  I wish they were in my area but it's nice to know that I had a hand in finding them!  It was really a miracle.  That night me and the Zone Leaders went to Subway but they wouldn't take our cards so we had to go to Burger King.  We had a ton of fun there and got crowns.  I know you don't care about that but I'm writing it mainly so I remember it when I read these emails in a few years.  Elder Steel got in really late and we just unpacked that night.
 
On Thursday it was Halloween.  We had to be in by 6 PM because of Halloween which kind of sucked but we had a good day!  All morning we went to Heanor and GQed.  We talked to a few good people.  At 2 we went to Eats and Treats and spent two hours helping them decorate the Cafe and garden for a Halloween event they were having.  Then at 4 we went to meet Ruby and that's when I gave her the quilt. 
 
On Friday we went back to Eats and Treats to help take down decorations!  I love hanging out in there.  We got paid with free breakfast cobs so there's no complaining there (:  After that we went to weekly plan and have lunch.  We taught Amy the 15 step program to stop smoking on Friday.  It went really well, she's still struggling to quit smoking but she's trying and I know that she can do it.  It's just a matter of time.  Rachael sat in on that lesson.  In the middle of the lesson Rachael was on her phone and she said... 'I just got a chat from one of your friends Elder Pogue, her name is Kelcy.'  Elder Steel started laughing so hard.  It was so weird that she chatted Rachael right as I was sitting across from her!  I sent a picture message and she sent one back.  It was nice and very funny to hear from her in such an unexpected time.  After that we went to Betty Breen's house for a nice dinner.  We ended up staying there for a really long time!  The conversations where very interesting and they were just getting to know Elder Steel. 
 
Saturday was a pretty good day.  We woke up and went to Heanor, then back for lunch and went to Ilkeston.  Taylor will think this is cool, we take a path along a canal and on Saturday they were having a winter fishing league tournament.  They were boring fishermen though, they're poles were extremely long, with no reel.  But it was cool because one guy had a sling shot and he was shooting fish food in areas he wanted them to go.  That seemed like fun.  There were loads of fireworks and bonfires on Saturday because on this coming Thursday is bonfire night.  It's a holiday based around this guy named Guy Fawkes who tried to blow up parliament a long time ago but failed... really its just an excuse for a holiday.  They were doing it on Saturday just because Thursday is such an inconvenient time for bonfires and fireworks.  We GQ'd a guy named Lesean from Bermuda!  He was in England for a football tryout and he was extremely interested.  I also got to speak to a couple of Arabs in Arabic!  They kept telling me Islam was the best religion and he asked if I ever tried converting, I replied 'no, have you ever tried converting to Christianity?'  Ha, we both laughed.  It was really just fun to talk in Arabic to him! 
 
Sunday was a very good but also strange day.  It was fast and testimony meeting and let's just say there was a little too much talk about 'angels and visions' for my comfort.  Oddly it was a very spiritual meeting.  I did find out that one of my favorite members of the ward has cancer again.  It's so sad to see him going through it, but he bore such a strong testimony then his wife did as well. 
 
Sorry this email is so long!  It's just been a very eventful week!  I've been spending all week trying to think of quotes to go on my planner for this transfer.  I found in Joseph Smith history notes at the very end, Oliver Cowdery says, 'These were days never to be forgotten.'  That's what I'm feeling about my mission!  These are days I will never forget!  It's been absolutely great so far and Elder Steel and I are getting along great and having a great time doing the work!
 
This week I want to encourage everyone to look for a missionary experience and to try to spread the gospel!  Alma 13:24 says 'For behold, angels are declaring it unto many at this time in our land; and this is for the purpose of preparing the hearts of the children of men to receive his word at the time of his coming in his glory.'
There are people all around us who have been prepared to recieve the message of the restored gospel!  Pray and seek for these people!  Share the message with them. 
 
I love you all so much!  And miss you!
 
Love,
Elder Evan Pogue

No comments:

Post a Comment