Tuesday, January 14, 2014

26th Letter from England (Sheldon)



Hello everyone!!
This week has been a great week!  I've already sent so many emails today that I'm kind of worn out of typing but I'll still try to make this email good.  It has been a really great week though.
I don't think I want to write this email in the usual way I do, where I write day by day.  I don't know, I'll just start typing and see how it comes out.

This week has been full of ups and downs for me, it's been a week of intense study and praying.  In the past few weeks we hadn't had very many lessons, and not very many people to find answers for.  I had gotten a little discouraged, and I noticed that it was becoming easier to wake up a little later, and studying a little less, and talking to a few less people.  I'm glad that I caught on really quickly though!  This past week has been so rewarding and so great as I studied and worked harder, and refound my desire to work as hard as I can! 
Last Monday we went and had Zone P-Day.  We had fun there, I played some ping pong and volley ball.  Nothing much went on other than that though.  We had a dinner appointment with the Stilgers (bishop).  We went to this really good buffet place.  I finally got to have some hummus!!  I had been craving some good hummus for  a while!  After that we had a lesson that night with Salin that went great.  We taught him the law of chastity and he really already knows and lives it!  Those are the best kinds of lessons.  On Monday I had really made the goal to wake up on time every day, get to study on time every day, and do everything I could.
Tuesday morning, I had a great study.  I studied tithing because that's what we were going to teach Salin that night.  So then we went to the chapel to get some stories of miracles of tithing and also find a nice video to share.  We found a really good one by President Hinkley, where he told a story that could be the same situation as Salin is in!  So at the chapel we were going to fix Elder Hoffmann's bike... but then we looked and my bike wasn't there.  It was locked up in a way that the wheel couldn't move and locked inside of the chapel!  I feel like a member just moved it somewhere or something but we looked everywhere and couldn't find it.  We'll see though.  That night we had our lesson with Salin, we went in a little nervous knowing that money is a concern for him.  He accepted it immediately and knew its something he should do.  What a blessing.
Wednesday morning we had Zone meeting in Harborne.  That went really well!  I got a present from Ruby and also the thermal g's finally!  They're so great!  The gift from Ruby was the book 'The Continuous Conversion' By Brad Wilcox.  Which I've already read all the way through and am planning to start it over again.  It's amazing.  Conversion has been my main personal study topic all week!  Wednesday night we had a lesson with a lady named Donna and her family.  We taught the restoration and it went really well.  I hope they read and pray!
Thursday was another good day, we went and tried to visit a few people we'd previously talked to. We had a dinner appointment at the Reynolds-Jones house.  (Guess what!  It was a dish with rice and mushrooms and lots of them... I ate ALL of them!  It was not easy but I did it!  What a miracle.) That night we had another lesson with Salin.  We taught him the importance of baptism, and coming to church.  It's great to see how much he is learning and progressing.  He has such a strong desire to learn more. 
Friday, as usual, we have weekly planning which takes so long.  Elder Hoffmann was sick that morning as well and slept in a little.  We really didn't get much done.  We went GQing that night.
Saturday was a good day as well, we woke up and had to cut study short for a lesson with a referral we got named Wayne.  He is a really solid Christian guy, he kept saying AMEN AMEN!  To everything we said!  He went to some prayer revival thing in 2003 in New York and just really trusts God.  We went there and he promises he'll read the book of mormon and pray about it.  I'm excited to see how that progresses.  On the way back to our flat for lunch we stopped in this little corner store in the middle of a prominant Arab neighborhood and guess what I got!  Mountain dew and Arab Coke!  I was so excited!  They taste just like the mountain dews and coke I had in Saudi all the time!  That night we had a dinner with a family named the Watsons.  That went really well!  They have us over every Saturday and are really great people.
Sunday we had a good day at church.  After Church we went and stopped by a potential named Wedwati.  She lived in Holland some years ago and met with missionaries there.  She's hesitant to start investigating again now because she's moving back to Holland soon.  We are going to get Elder Chardon to call her because he is Dutch himself so maybe he can sweet talk her in Dutch! (:   At church that day Brother Hadley asked Elder Hoffmann to speak in church next week on repentance, then turned to me (uh oh) and said 'and You'll speak on conversion!'  How convenient!  I'm so excited and prepared for that talk. All thanks to Ruby!  :D  I miss all of them in Eastwood.
I hope everything is going great at home!! I love and miss you all!
Love,
Elder Evan Pogue

No comments:

Post a Comment