Tuesday, May 27, 2014

43rd Letter from England (Stroud)


Hey! :D  I loved the Skype too!  It always go way too fast though.  It's weird to think that we only have 2 Skype sessions left.  I think it's so amazing that we have so many missionaries from our ward.  It'll be cool for us to meet up sometime and all talk about our experiences. 
Tell Kiara to email me!  I do know Elder Greaves, he actually took my place in Eastwood and was trained by Elder Steel.  He's a great missionary.  I didn't know that he had lived in St George.  He's a way cool guy.  Elder Steel said that he couldn't stand to be anywhere late. 
I got the pictures of Mollie, and Taylor!  It looks like Taylor's just having a great time. 
 
This week has been a bit harder than the past few, but that's okay!  Last Monday was bank holiday Monday so I think we emailed on Tuesday
 
On Tuesday most of our lessons got cancelled.  We had a dinner appointment with a guy named Mike C. who bought us sandwiches and we fed some ducks while we ate them.  That was kind of fun and a nice change.  He told us a funny story about a companion he had who got Dear Johned on his mission.  He was really sad so Bro C opened up to Matthew 19:28 where it says everyone who has forsaken something for the Lord's sake will receive a hundred fold.  Bro C was telling him not to worry, when he got home he'd have 100 girlfriends. 
 
Wednesday Morning we went to see Stephanie with a member named Peter.  Peter is amazing, he was recently reactivated and was just ordained an Elder.  He works nights but is still always so willing to help us.  Not much else happened that day unfortunately though.  This whole week we've had a lot of things planned but not much has happened. 
 
Thursday was a pretty good day, we had district meeting in the morning so we went to Yate and had a good lunch and a good meeting.  We went on exchange after that so Elder Allred came with me to Stroud.  We stopped by an investigator named Norman to schedule an appointment with him and had a nice short conversation with him then headed to our flat.  It was about 5 or 6 by the time we got there though.  That night we went and taught Beverly a lesson at her doorstep because we hadn't planned for it so we didn't have a member.  The spirit was really strong in that lesson.  We were guided to focus on desire and I learned a lot teaching her.  I learned that if you don't have the desire to learn about the gospel, or the desire to improve, or the desire to do anything for that matter, than it's not going to happen.  If you don't want to know if God is there, you won't know.  If you don't want to make goals to become a better person, than you won't become a better person.  Now the struggle is getting that desire.  I guess that's where prayer, and humbling experiences come in.  Some good scriptures on desire and faith are in Alma 32.  But really, when people hear and reject the gospel it's like being offered millions of pounds and just turning it down.  Saying nooo I don't want or need that.  I wish people just realized how big of an offer it is that the missionaries give.    That evening we saw Jamie and Angie for a bit and just talked to them about fasting.  They call Elder Allred, Barney after the guy from How I Met Your Mother.  They're seriously so funny. 
 
Friday morning we woke up, and had to exchange back first thing.  The Darracqs drove us to Yate, we exchanged back (and Elder Allred gave me a pillow so I don't have to sleep using my duvet as a pillow!) and they drove Elder Olivos and me back.  We went to do some garden work for a lady named Sister Hawes, that was a lot of fun.  Elder Olivos was kind of crazy with the knife and stuff though!  He accidently stabbed me at one point.  That night we met up with Peter again and taught Beverly.  We had another powerful lesson.  The spirit is always present in those lessons but she's not seeing it.  Heavenly Father is being very patient with her though, so so are we.  We had a great dinner appointment with the Cole family where we had nice Chili.  It kind of reminded me of Dad's chili he used to make at Halloween.  
Saturday we woke up and had to do our weekly planning really quick.  We had a dinner appointment with Ross and Reg at 2.  Reg is 80 and was hit by a car when he was 59.  He can't hear and he is so funny.  He heard I was from Louisiana and got all excited because of a Southern Comfort drink he used to drink and jazz music.  He kept saying, I want to be your friend!  He kisses Sister Darracq every time he sees her.  I can't even describe Reg he's so entertaining.  Unfortunately he's not a member and doesn't want to be.  He enjoys smoking and drinking and football too much.  We went to visit Jamie and Angie.  They made us Spaghetti Bolognaise.  However you spell it.  That was really nice, and then it was time to go home. 
 
Sunday was a good day at church except we were really sad that Jamie and Angie weren't able to come.  We were really hoping they'd be able to this week.  They've committed to come next week though so we're excited for that.  We had munch and mingle right after church and then went to the Darracqs.  Sister Darracq really made everything but was getting us to prepare it for mothers day, which was nice.  We had Cafe Rio (home made)  It was so delicious.  Right after that we started Skyping home which was really really really good!  (: 
 
On Skype we were talking about things and before we left we were saying how there's always something we forget to say!  And there was something!  I started laughing about 5 minutes after I hung up at this.  I forgot to say HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!  The sole reason I was skyping home, I forgot to do.  Happy Mothers day mum(: 
 
I was reading a talk this morning for studies by Elder Holland called The Miracle of a Mission.  In it he kind of made me realize something.  He said something along the lines of everything on his mission, as in his missionary skills, his testimony, his work ethics, everything that influenced his missionary work and his mission is directly attributed to his home he grew up in.  I feel the exact same.  Everything I'm good at now, and everything I'm doing now is all because of the way you (Mum and Dad) raised me.  Because of your example, and love.  Because of your testimonies.  President Packer said 'The shield of Faith is best fabricated in a cottage industry,'  I'm so happy that I had the best 'cottage industry' the best home to build that shield of faith on me.  I can never be thankful enough for your influence on my life.  Maybe this little message is in the spirit of mothers day but I mean it all the time.  I love y'all(:
 
Love,
Elder Pogue

No comments:

Post a Comment